Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Retalhuleu


After a rather long ride, we were warmly greeted by Clemencia of the Retalhuleu Rotary Club. We were checked into our accommodations for the first evening and allowed to relax for a little while. We were then treated to a wonderful dinner with members of the Retalhuleu Rotary Club.






The next day, Sunday morning, we arose early to be transported to new accommodations that would house us until Wednesday. We are in a wonderful resort. This is an amazing place - filled with peacocks and parrots. All employers contribute 1% of their payroll to this non-profit organization. There are several resorts throughout Guatemala - each one offering different amenities. The employees are then able to attend any of these resorts they like. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast and then had a relaxing day at the water park and the theme park. This is like a miniature Disney. However, it is much cleaner and less crowded. Unfortunately, it is my turn to be hit with stomach issues. I struggled through the morning at the water park. I had bread and water for lunch before asking to go to the hotel. We had been unable to check in an earlier but fortunately it was late enough. I collapsed on my bed while the rest of the teams enjoyed the lovely theme park. I had another dinner of bread and chamomile tea (a natural remedy for bad stomachs). Back to bed - I hope tomorrow will be better!


Well - it is another morning of bread and chamomile tea for me! Today we visited Mayan and Olnex Ruins. The Ruins at Tak Alik Ab Aj were wonderful. They were pre-classic and middle-classic. The site is still being uncovered. Of course Laura was in her glory! I was struggling and hoping the bathrooms weren´t too far away!















After the ruins we visited the government offices. There was a large fire there that destroyed much of the building. The Rotary Club helped to raise the necessary funds to rebuild the offices. The completion date is supposed to be March 2009.






It is about 5 p.m. and I am happy to be going back to the hotel. I have been struggling a little with my stomach all day and appreciate the opportunity to rest a little more.

No comments: